Thursday, December 15, 2005

Falling

Every morning, I drive myself to work half asleep. I am perched on my scooter, like a little bird on the edge of a branch, wings aflutter, half waiting to fly away somewhere. This hard and lumpy body of mine, fifty odd kilos of flesh and inertia, is here, here, here, but me, I am elsewhere, moving someplace else, every place else but where I am supposed to be going. I am an instinctively cautious driver, my body attunes itself to the road even as I shut out the noise, the insane honking, the indescribable sound of a world that has forgotten how silence used to feel. In that other secret world, there is a quiet place where the sounds of silence are cherished. In that other secret world, the heart is still. The constant hankering for something, the craving for everything needed and un-needed, that unstill feeling is dead. The other secret world moves in, to a fleeting intersection of this one. I twist the accelerator with my fingers, cold flesh on warm metal and zoom on through the intersection zone. The crunch of metal, the splash of broken glass, a squirt of blood, I fall through to reality.

5 comments:

The ramblings of a shoe fiend said...

This and the Sanjay Ghosh piece are wonderful. Excellent writing

Srihari said...

Aparna, did you have an accident ?? Pray ur fine.

apu said...

SF, thks!

Chotu, I am fine - that was *fiction* only...well, most of it.. Maybe i need to put out a disclaimer on this blog like the movies *this is purely based on fictional events* etc etc :))

Aran said...

Yup, I'm all in favour of the disclaimer. I was a bit concerned too.

Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info http://www.gay-9.info http://www.blowjob-party-pool.info How much does an average financial advisor make Ryder truck rental syracuse new york Bespoke management training Commercial insurance little elm texas hot naked milfs charleston southern soccer Car radar detectors xrs9700 asthma resources breast enlargement